Monday, March 10, 2014

Almost 1 Year

Evelyn Grace is 364 days old today.  It's been the hardest, yet most rewarding 364 days of my life.  It equally feels like it's been an eternity and a single second. She keeps us busy and entertained; time goes fast that way. At the same time Evelyn has been thru a lot. Kristen and I have been places, seen things & experienced emotions with her that neither of us thought we ever would. When I look at it that way, time seems to have dragged on.

I'd be lying if I told you I wouldn't change anything...I would. I'd take this virus and the damage it did in a second, I know Kristen would too. And while we both know that is far from realistic, I can't help it and I know she can't either. It is maybe the one weakness we feel that I'm not sure will ever leave us. What cannot be understated though is how much our daughter has taught us and continues to teach us. Unconditional love, patience, perseverance, true grace and perspective to name just a few. All things I'm glad I learned and that I needed to learn, just not this way. I've said before on this blog that she has every reason not to smile, laugh or generally be happy, yet everyday she refuses to feel sorry for herself or mope. All she does lately is laugh & smile. I wish I knew what was going on in her head, I wish she could explain it and teach it to me and hopefully one day she will. For now, she's taught me more in one year about living in the present, staying positive and smiling, than I learned in my first 32.5 yrs on this Earth.

Rocking the faux fur

As she approaches her second year in the world and our lives, there are a lot of things coming up that we are excited and hopeful about. There are probably more curveballs coming as well but we'll make it thru those as a family, just like we did this past year. Please stay tuned to this blog as we roll out some exciting announcements over the coming months.

Finally, the love & support our family has received has been both humbling and overwhelming throughout the past year. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday dear sweet Evelyn! It is hard to believe a year has passed. We think about her so often and always stay up to date with Kate and Dan. Please know all of you are in our prayers daily and my group of "Prayer Warriors" wish her a Happy Birthday too!
    Much love,
    Sue and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MISS EVELYN GRACE! {insert ice cream and party hats here} Sending so much love and wishing you all the happiness in the world. Since you've arrived, I've learned that life really does get better with each passing year :) XO

    ReplyDelete