Friday, June 21, 2013

Rough Week, Tough Baby Girl

We had a rough week this week. Miss Evie started having small spasms, which presented as exaggerated Moro Reflexes, and occurred in clusters when she was overly tired or upset. This was clearly abnormal behavior so we took videos and emailed them to her neurologist first thing Monday morning. After a quick discussion we agreed to bring her in for pediatric epilepsy monitoring.

Evelyn was admitted to the Clinic's main campus on Wednesday morning. To set-up the EEG, the tech had to glue ~20 electrodes to her little head. This was absolute torture to watch. They also had around the clock video monitoring to help them best correlate the EEG findings with her physical behavior. After 32 hours of surveillance, we met with Dr. Wyllie, one of the leading pediatric epilepsy doctors in the country to discuss the results.

Evie was cleared to leave, but the findings did confirm she was having small seizures. We've started her on medication to significantly reduce and hopefully stop these seizures altogether, and we have a follow-up in 4 weeks. As a parent, new or seasoned, this is something I hope no one has to witness. I'm glad we acted quickly, and I'm very thankful she's getting the help she needs, but now I truly understand the heartbreak of seeing your child in pain, knowing that you can be utterly hopeless to stop it.

Like we mentioned early on, we know that there will be good days and bad, and all we can do is live each moment as it's here, learn from it, and celebrate the good ones that much more.

1 comment:

  1. One day -- all the bad days will be behind and after the loooong stretches of YEARS of good days ahead, Evie will be able to tell you herself how lucky she is to have the two most amazing, incredible, loving parents in the world. You & Spy are living examples of love and I aspire to the courage and strength that you continue to exude with such humility and grace. Please know that my every positive thought, prayer, and all well wishes are with Evelyn. I love and miss you, Friends!!

    ReplyDelete