Monday, March 18, 2013

Expecting Parents' Bliss

Kristen informed me she was pregnant on August 5, 2012.  What started out as just a typical Sunday afternoon in the Spytek residence, quickly turned into one of the most memorable moments of our lives. Kristen was returning from a weekend back east and I was able to leave the office early due to a slow day at training camp.  It was a beautiful summer day and I had some rare free time, so naturally golf had to be a part of the evening.  I successfully, or so I had thought, convinced Kristen to come ride along as I played 9 holes that evening. She could drink beers and keep me company. Kristen went upstairs to 'change' and instead of coming downstairs in proper golf attire, she handed me 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' and 4 pee sticks to break the news.  I never did get those 9 holes in.

From the start everything with the pregnancy went as well as could be expected.  Kristen was extremely tired, a little nauseous but most importantly for her she never experienced the dreaded morning sickness.  Those of you who know Kristen best know she absolutely abhors puking and will do anything, and I mean anything, to avoid getting sick.  So the fact that she never experienced morning sickness was viewed as a huge success/accomplishment. Our 8 week visit with the doctor only confirmed that things were going great and he gave us a due date of April 8, 2013.  And so as most expecting parents do, we began buying the necessary items to ensure we would be the absolute greatest parents.

Exhibit A: the ultimate stroller


We had a few more routine doctors visits during the following weeks but it was the 19 week ultrasound that we were most looking forward too.  Kristen being the planner she is never considered not finding out if it was a boy or a girl and since I'm just a long for the ride so, alright we're finding out...cool.  I'm pretty sure 99% of our family and friends guessed girl.  One friend in fact purchased a University of Michigan cheerleaders outfit in October she was so sure.  I was thinking boy but in all honesty it really didn't matter as long as the baby was healthy.  So Kristen and I went to the visit thinking, "We find out if it's a boy or girl, obviously the doctor will tell us everything is great and we'll go celebrate over lunch."  And then you learn that in life, just when you think you've got it all figured out, things do not always go as planned.  

~John

No comments:

Post a Comment